Voucher Holders

Role of the Voucher Holder (Tenant)

When a family selects a housing unit, and HPHA approves the unit and lease, the family signs a lease with the landlord for at least one year. The tenant may be required to pay a security deposit to the landlord. After the first year the landlord may initiate a new lease or allow the family to remain in the unit on a month-to-month lease.

When the family is settled in a new home, the family is expected to comply with the lease and the program requirements, pay its share of rent on time, maintain the unit in good condition and notify HPHA of any changes in income or family composition.

Voucher Holder Resources

If you are interested in becoming part of our team, please check here regularly for opportunities. We have various departments always looking for talented people from diverse backgrounds to help us fulfill our mission of providing adequate and affordable housing, economic opportunity, and a suitable living environment for, low-income families and individuals, free from discrimination.

General Information

As a recipient of the Housing Choice Voucher program, here are some items to consider in finding a suitable unit for your family.
  • Is the unit in good condition and suitable for your family needs?
  • Have you considered location in proximity to public transportation, centers of employment, schools and shopping?
  • Are utilities included? (Gas, Water, Electric)
  • Is the rent reasonable?
What is a payment standard?
The payment standard is determined on an annual basis by comparing market rents on each island jurisdiction by bedroom size. the payment standard includes utilities.
How do you determine what your will pay or total tenant payment (TTP)? The following is an example of what you will pay:
Example: Your payment standard is $788.00 for a one-bedroom unit. the unit you found is $700.00 including utilities. Next we check if your rent is reasonable by checking rent comparable. If rent is reasonable, your 30% adjust incomes in $300.00 The $300.00 is what you would be paying the Landlord monthly and the state will be paying $400.00 monthly on your behalf.
What is Rent Comparable?
The state is required to insure you that the unit you plan to rent is reasonable according to prevailing market conditions. If the rent is too high according to market conditions you will not be able to rent unit or the landlord will have to lower rent charged.
What if my income changes?
If your income changes, you are to notify your Section 8 Occupancy Specialist immediately.

Family Self-Sufficiency Program

FSS is a program that enables HUD-assisted families to increase their earned income and reduce their dependency on welfare assistance and rental subsidies.

Public Housing Agencies (PHAs) work in collaboration with a Program Coordinating Committee (PCC) to secure commitments of public and private resources for the operation of the FSS program, to develop the PHA’s FSS Action Plan (the FSS policy framework), and to implement the program.

Once an eligible family is selected to participate in the program, the PHA, and the head of each participating family execute a FSS Contract of Participation that specifies the rights and responsibilities of both parties. The term of the FSS contract is generally 5 years, but it may be extended for another 2 years by the PHA for good cause.

The FSS contract also incorporates the family’s individual training and services plan (ITSP). The ITSP is the document that records the plan for the family. That is, the series of intermediate and long-term goals and the steps the family needs to take – and the services and resources they may need to access – to achieve those goals.”
Learn More

Landlord Tenant Mediation

What is mediation?
Mediation is an informal, confidential process that provides landlords and tenants with the opportunity to talk through their differences with the assistance of an impartial third-party (the mediator). The mediator does not take sides or make decisions for the participants. The mediator empowers the participants to reach agreements that work for their situation.
When Should Landlord & Tenants Mediate?
Anytime a dispute arises between a landlord and a tenant, mediation is a good first step to consider, before the situation becomes too emotional or the tenant is too far behind in paying the rent. Participating in mediation early gives the landlord and tenant time to prepare for a successful mediation, and access other resources, if needed.
How do I schedule a Mediation at MCP?
  • Call 521-6767 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday and ask for the Client Services Department to schedule a mediation.
  • A Client Service Specialist will assist you in scheduling a mediation session on a day and time that works for you and the other party. Mediations are available at the MCP office located at 245 N. Kukui St. #206, at HCAP Center (85-555 Farrington Hwy., Waianae), and at Surfing the Nations (44 Ohai St.). You may also mediate via phone or video conference.
  • You will be required to provide general information about the case and the issues that you would like to address, as well as specific information about yourself, including but not limited to any accommodations you may need to participate in the mediation process.
  • You will also be required to provide the names and contact information of the other party.
  • Depending on your availability and that of the other party, a mediation session will generally be schedules within two weeks.
Learn More

Transferring a Voucher - Portability

A family's housing needs change over time with changes in family size, job locations, and for other reasons. The housing choice voucher program is designed to allow families to move without the loss of housing assistance. Moves are permissible as long as the family notifies the PHA ahead of time, terminates its existing lease within the lease provisions, and finds acceptable alternate housing.

Moving to Hawai'i

If you have a current, valid Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher, you may use the voucher in any jurisdiction that accepts your voucher. This is called "portable." There are also "project-based" vouchers, which are not "portable" because they remain with the housing project. You must contact your current Section 8 voucher administrator to begin the process of transferring your Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher to Hawaii.

Moving from Hawai'i

You need to check to be sure that the area you intend to move to has a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program. If the area does, you must contact the HPHA Application Office or county office to inform them of your pending move. The office personnel will provide you with instructions on how to transfer your voucher and assistance in the preparation of the required paperwork.
Learn More

HCV Landlord Contact Information

The HCV Program places the choice of housing in the hands of the individual family. To assist families with their search, HPHA provides a list of landlords and properties that already accept Housing Choice Vouchers.

A. Joel Cris or Paula / 224-1256 OR 255-7444
AF Properties / 845-4567
Aina Kaniala LLC / 230-6639
B&B Realty / 487-5900
Bench Realty / 488-7776
Bob Tanaka / 949-4111
Cadmus Properties Corp. / 531-6847
Cambridge Park / 672-7553
Chun Kwong Lau Trust / 951-5151
City Mill Co., Ltd. / 533-3811
Cloudbreak Hawaii LLC / 682-1949
EAH / 523-8826
Edwin B. Sagaysay / 625-6753
Edwina Lee / 734-6160
Fahrni Realty / 486-4166
Faith E. Naluai LLC / 395-0127
Foster Realty / 696-0774
George Tim Fu / 637-5449
Grubb & Ellis/CBI / 942-0009


Hawaii Hatfield Realty / 696-4499
Hawaiian Island Homes / 946-3222
Hawaiiana Mgmt. / 593-9100
Ideal Properties, Inc. / 951-0350
Inga's Realty / 695-9055
Island Development LLC / 780-9537
Island Realty Group LLC / 689-7407
James Kometani Inc. / 591-8166
Keahumoa Place / 461-3200 www.liveatkeahumoa.com
KFG Properties / 456-8188
Kukui EAH/DGI Associates Lp / 523-8826
Lau & Lau Properties / 951-5151
Leonard Seu / 621-6778
Marie Hansen Properties / 591-1110
Metropolitan Mgmt. / 536-3511
Mgmt. Specialist / 949-7611
Oahu Properties / 955-5700
Oasis at Waipahu / 671-2800


Palms at Kilani / 621-6694
Peterson Properties of Hawaii / 486-5918
Pinnacle Mgmt. Group LLC / 688-8898
Prudential Locations / 735-4200
Raymond W. Cook / 695-1106
Ron Nakatsu / 677-7777
Shell'z Ohana Realty / 696-0028
Sofos Realty / 522-5999
Sonny Ho / 620-2225
Sun Corp/ Sun Estates / 487-0000
Sunshine Properties / 259-8811
Team Real Estates / 352-6449
The Realty Company Ltd / 566-6551/946-3221
The Villas at Royal Kunia / 680-9791
Thomas Cabico Jr. / 488-9766
Tom Shinsato Realty / 537-4981
Tung Huynh / 216-2555
Tusitala Vista Lp / 282-0250
Vineyard Investment Realty / 744-5478
Waianae Coast Realty / 696-8858
West Beach Realty / 696-4774
West Oahu Realty / 676-8858
Wilbert Y.C. Mau / 486-6629
Windward Isle Properties / 261-1530
WT Chock Family Ltd Ptrship / 387-7080

Frequently Asked Questions

What is HPHA's proposal for the new (effiective May 1st, 2017) monthly utility allowances?

The proposal can be found here.

Do you have a list of Section 8 landlords you can send to me in the mainland?

Listings of Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher landlords is provided to only valid local voucher holders.

I have a complaint with my current Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher landlord. Who can I contact?

As a tenant, your lease is with your landlord or an owner of the property. HPHA is not a party to your lease. You and your landlord should try and work out any problems you may have. You are covered under the Residential Landlord - Tenant Code. For other Residential Landlord - Tenant Code related information, you can call 808-586-2634.

You can go to hawaii.gov/dcca for more detail information on the code.